Out of the 48 candidates named by the party today, 24 of them will not only be facing BN but also Snap.
KUCHING: Sarawak PKR today announced an assortment of candidates, described by PKR deputy president Azmin Ali as the “best” to fight the state BN.
Among the 48 candidates are medical doctors, PhD holders, lawyers, engineers, accountants, businessmen and former senior civil servants.
“We will spring major surprises in the coming election and these candidates will hopefully save Sarawak and Sarawakians from rampant corruption in the system.
“I feel happy because these candidates proposed by the state leadership appear to be ones with integrity and credibility,” he said.
Azmin also added that PKR will not field candidates in Pakan, Marudi and and one other constituency out of respect for the spirit of Pakatan Rakyat. These three constituencies will see candidates from Sarawak Nation Party (Snap) taking on BN.
However, Snap and PKR are set to face each other in 24 other seats, making a three-cornered fight highly possible with BN.
On Snap seat talk impasse, Azmin said: “In our last meeting, Snap was so persistent in wanting to contest in 27 majority constituencies, never giving us any space for negotiation.
“They also wanted PKR Iban candidates to contest on a Snap ticket. This could not be considered as PKR is a multiracial party, representing not only Melanau, Malays, Chinese, but also Bidayuhs, Ibans, Murut and Kadayans.”
Azmin said that both Snap and PKR mutually agreed that the two parties have to base their candidates on the ‘winnability’ factor such as the credibility of the candidates.
“On that score, I think PKR candidates are the best and the ones that can spring up surprises. However, we leave it to the people of Sarawak to make a decision on April 16,” he added.
On the Pakatan front, apart from PKR’s 48 seats and the three allocated for Snap, DAP will be contesting in 15 seats, where 14 of those contests are expected to be straight fights with Chinese-based SUPP candidates. PAS will contest in five seats and is expected to name its candidates by tomorrow.
Pakatan’s wish to see straight fights with BN has been scuppered by Snap’s decision to also stand in 24 seats taken up by PKR. BN will contest in all 71 seats. A handful of independents are also expected to contest.
The full list of PKR candidates:
1. N1 Opar – Boniface Willy Anak Tumek
2. N2 Tasik Biru – John Tenewi Nuek
3. N4 Pantai Damai – Wan Zainal Abidin Bin Wan Senusi
4. N5 Demak Laut – Ali Hossen Bin Abang
5. N6 Tupong – Baharuddin Mokhsen
6. N7 Samariang – Zulrusdi Bin Mohamad Dol
7. N8 Satok – Ahmad Nazib Bin Johari
8. N11 Batu Lintang – See Chee How
9. N14 Asajaya – Arip Bin Ameran
10. N16 Bengoh – Willie Anak Mongin
11. N17 Tarat – Peter Ato Anak Mayau
12. N18 Tebedu – Christopher Anak Kiyui
13. N19 Kedup – Lainus Anak Andrew Luwak
14. N21 Simunjan – Mashor Bin Hossen
15. N23 Lingga – Abg. Ahmad Arabi bin Abg Bolhassan
16. N25 Balai Ringin – Ibi Anak Udding
17. N26 Bukit Begunan – Jimmy Lim @Jimmy Donald
18. N28 Engkilili – Marudi @ Barudi Anak Mawong
19. N29 Batang Air – Nicholas Bawin Anak Anggat
20. N30 Saribas Abang Zulkifli Abang Engkeh
21. N31 Layar – Stanny Embat Pharoh Anak Laja
22. N32 Bukit Saban – Jerah Anak Engkiong @ Edward Jerah
23. N33 Kalaka – Mohd Yahya Bin Abdullah
24. N34 Krian Ali Anak Biju
25. N35 Belawai – Abdul Wahab Bin Abdullah
26. N36 Semop – (to be announced later in Sibu)
27. N37 Daro – Jamaludin Bin Ibrahim
28. N42 Meluan – John Brian Anthony Anak Jeremy Guang
29. N43 Ngemah – Aris Anak Alap
30. N44 Machan – Chen Nguk Fa
31. N49 Nangka – Norisham Mohamed Ali
32. N50 Dalat – Sylvester Ajah Subah @ Ajah Bin Subah
33. N51 Balingian – Suriati Binti Abdullah
34. N52 Tamin – Mengga Anak Mikui
35. N53 Kakus – Paul Anyie Raja
36. N54 Pelagus – Edward Sumbang Anak Asun
37. N56 Baleh – Bendidang Anak Manjah
38. N57 Belaga – Basah Kesing @ ali Basah Kesing
39. N58 Jepak – Abdul Jalil Bin Bujang
40. N60 Kemena – Benard Binar Bayang Anak Radding
41. N61 Bekenu – Ishak Bin Mahwi
42. N62 Lambir – Zolhadiah Binte Suboh
43. N65 Senadin – Michael Teo Yu Keng
44. N67 Telang Usan – Harrison Ngau Laing
45. N69 Batu Danau – Lau Liak Koi
46. N70 Ba’ Kelalan – Baru Bian
47. N71 Bukit Sari – Japar Bin Suyut